20 Oct - Irish Stock Exchange publishes Q3 2017 trading and listing update
Irish Stock Exchange publishes Q3 2017 trading and listing update
- Over 36,000 securities listed by over 4,000 issuers from 85 countries
- Equities turnover up 4% to €73bn for first 9 months of 2017
- ISEQ up 5.6% in period Jan-Sept 2017
- Two new equity listings during Q3 – Greencoat Renewables and Cairn Homes
- New debt listings from major issuers in North America and Asia, including first-time listing by the Republic of Iraq
20 October 2017
Number of securities listed grows to over 36,000
Quarterly statistics released by the Irish Stock Exchange (ISE) today show the exchange’s total listings grew in Q3 2017 to 36,072 securities and represent over 4,000 issuers from more than 85 countries around the globe.
Over 2,500 new bond listings from sovereign, pension fund and industrial issuers
Among the 2,532 new bond listings during the quarter attracted to the ISE’s Main Securities Market (MSM) and Global Exchange Market (GEM) were major issuers from North America and Asia including:
- Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan – CAD$1.5bn bond - this listing continued the ISE’s strong progress towards becoming the European listing venue of choice for Canadian issuers. It follows recent new listings by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Royal Bank of Canada, Fédération Des Caisses Desjardins Du Québec, Couche-Tard (retail group), Entertainment One and Cott Corporation (soft drinks group).
- The Republic of Iraq - US$1bn bond – this listing on the MSM cements the ISE’s position as the European listing venue of choice for sovereign issuers from the Middle East. The Republic of Iraq joins the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the State of Kuwait, the Government of the Sultanate of Oman, the Kingdom of Bahrain and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan as an ISE-listed issuer.
- Odeabank of Turkey – US$300m bond – joining a number of other Turkish banks that are already ISE-listed.
- Shougang Group - €400m bond – a major Chinese iron and steel manufacturer, joining existing Chinese ISE issuers including oil giant Sinopec, Export-Import Bank of China, Bao Steel, China Three Gorges and China State Shipbuilding.
Over €1.1bn in new equity capital raised by ISE-listed companies in period Jan-Sept
The €1.1bn raised by ISE-listed companies in the period January to September was more than double the corresponding period in 2016.
Among the ISE-listed companies to raise new capital during Q3 were Greencoat Renewables, which raised €270m from its IPO, Draper Esprit and Great Western Mining.
In addition, Cairn Homes took a primary listing on the ISE and became part of the ISEQ indices.
Equity turnover increases by 4% while ISEQ up 5.6% year to date
Turnover in equities and the ISEQ 20 ETF stood at €73bn in the period January to September, an increase of 4% compared to the same period in 2016.
Following a 2.5% positive performance in Q2, the ISEQ Overall index was up 5.6% in the nine months to September 2017. The ISEQ General index increased by 6.3% while the ESM and ISEQ 20 indices rose by 13.4% and 6.2% respectively in the same period.
New funds from Marlborough International, Neuberger Berman, BNY Mellon and IGC
During the quarter the ISE attracted 221 new fund classes and had 5,440 fund securities listed at the end of the Q3 2017. These included new funds from Marlborough International, Neuberger Berman, BNY Mellon and IGC.
In addition, new Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) were issued by BMO, First Trust, UBS, Van Eck and Source.
NTMA raises €2.25bn through Irish Government bonds and Treasury bills
The NTMA raised €2.25bn in Q3 bringing the total funds raised through the issuance of Irish Government bonds and Treasury bills to €12.9bn in 2017. Turnover in Irish Government securities was €118.9bn for the period January to September 2017. Market capitalisation rose by 6.7% over the period to €127bn.
12 companies start ISE’s IPOready programme
The ISE’s 2017 IPOready programme for IPO candidate companies began in September with 12 new companies.Supported by Enterprise Ireland and the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund (ISIF), this is the ISE’s second leadership programme in accessing strategic finance. Oversubscribed, the ambitious companies starting IPOready came from the technology, financial services, medtech and engineering sectors from across the island of Ireland.