Tuesday 25th October 2011. In response to the unprecedented flooding throughout the country, the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland has issued some tips for homeowners affected by flooding.
The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland has said that water ingress can significantly damage homes and properties and it is important that homeowners take precautions to reduce the risks associated with flooding.
Chartered Building Surveyor, Krystyna Rawicz of the SCSI said “the main priority is to ensure the safety of the occupants of the property. It is important to turn off electricity and gas and to unplug any electrical items which may be covered in water, provided it is safe to do so”.
The Society also said that homeowners should also be aware of their responsibility under most insurance policies to mitigate the damage as best they can by stopping water ingress where possible. “It is also important that homeowners who have been affected by flooding should remove the damaged items but should not dispose of them until the loss adjuster has inspected them, where there is cover in place”, said Ms. Rawicz.
The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland has outlined some key tips which it hopes will assist homeowners who find themselves in an unexpected flooding situation.
10 Key Tips for homeowners:
1. Turn off all electricity and gas supplies which may be affected by water and unplug any electrical items. Disconnect washing machines, cookers, dishwashers to prevent further damage.
2. Move costly possessions and important documents upstairs for their protection and move other lightweight furnishings upstairs.
3. Pack up sentimental items into water resistant bags and move them to a safe place. While insurance may cover these, the sentimental value cannot be recovered.
4. List useful contacts such as the fire brigade, the police and family members. Ensure that you have your insurance company contact details.
5. Stock up on sandbags and place them in doorways to fight the water ingress.
6. Raise other furniture on blocks if possible to avoid them becoming damaged.
7. If you need to leave your home ensure that it is locked and protected.
8. Cooperate with emergency services if required to do so.
9. If you have an insurance policy in place on your property, contact your insurance company immediately.
10. For your local flooding helpline visit www.flooding.ie
For further information
The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland was formed in April 2011 as a result of a merger between the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) and the Irish Auctioneers & Valuers Institute (IAVI). It also works in partnership with the RICS, the global professional body for Chartered Surveyors with over 100,000 members worldwide. A full list of Chartered Building Surveyors is available at www.scsi.ie